The Senior Accountant helps advance Elevate’s mission by supporting its financial and accounting activities of grants, contracts, and monthly accounting cycle activities. The Senior Accountant assists in assessing compliance and providing solutions for weakness, as well as assisting the team in planning, evaluating, reporting, and problem solving regarding financial operations including development of reporting, monthly projections, and grant administration. This position helps streamline the tools, processes, and systems necessary to support Elevate’s current portfolio of grant and contract-based projects.
The Senior Accountant reports to the Director, Accounting and works closely with Elevate program managers and consultants to coordinate Elevate’s financial reporting. This position is located in Chicago, Illinois and is currently remote.
- Perform accounting functions to ensure accurate recordkeeping, reporting, and compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure.
- Maintain an orderly accounting filing system.
- Ensure completion of monthly accounting duties including completing and reviewing journal entries, reconciliations, receivables, payables, and payroll.
- Support project/program and grants accounting, including ensuring that expenditures are consistently aligned with grant and program budgets throughout the grant/fund period, and preparing financial reporting materials for grant and contract awards, including governmental.
- Support awards including proposal and budgets, monitoring, and analysis.
- Evaluate compliance for identified awards for specific regulations; formulate solutions for any weaknesses identified in the form of process and controls.
- Maintain knowledge of federal award requirements as requested by the Director, Accounting.
- Maintain files and communications for assigned areas and awards.
- Work with the Accounting team to ensure timeliness of month, quarter, and year-end close including supporting the preparation, review, and finalization of monthly financial reports.
- Manage accounts receivable, accounts receivable aging and related balance sheet reconciliations, as assigned.
- Work with the Director, Accounting to prepare schedules for timely year-end audit and tax filing preparation.
- Support monitoring and evaluation of the financial performance of Elevate’s programs in coordination with the Director, Accounting and the Chief Financial Officer.
- Support the Finance and Accounting teams and Chief Financial Officer with partner relationships, ad hoc reporting, and analysis, as requested.
- Assist with projects related to cost allocation methods, budget templates, grants compliance policies, etc.
- Collaborate with teams across the organization on reporting and communication, such as legal, human resources, and program teams.
- Provide leadership in developing and maintaining internal communications with staff at all levels throughout the organization; create and promote a positive and supportive work environment.
- Provide clerical and administrative support to management as requested.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business administration, finance, or related equivalent training/experience
- Five or more years of progressive accounting experience required
- Knowledge of nonprofit accounting, including awards analysis, reporting, reconciliation, cost allocations, and government contracts a plus
- Audit preparation experience preferred
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret financial reports, common state and federal statutes, and legal documents
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions, and present recommendations
- Ability to effectively present information to various groups such as internal partners, government staff, public groups, and auditors
- Experience encompassing A/P, General Ledger, transaction analysis, budgeting, and account reconciliation
- Excellent knowledge of financial software systems, including Microsoft Office, ERP, and financial systems
- Experience with fund accounting software a plus
- Ability to develop and implement strategies to improve operations and processes
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Ability to utilize independent judgment, make decisions, and set priorities with minimal supervision
- Commitment to accuracy along with high attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills including collaborative thinking and problem solving
We design and implement programs that reduce costs, protect people and the environment, and ensure the benefits of clean and efficient energy use reach those who need them most.
At Elevate, the greatest asset of our organization is the kind of people we attract. Elevate employees co-create our energetic and collaborative environment, where constant learning and service to others take priority. We empower individuals to challenge conventional thinking in pursuit of innovation and we seek dynamic, hardworking team members who are inspired to work with people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives. Every day we make a difference by placing our team, clients, and community partners first. From our mission to our focus on staff wellbeing and career development opportunities, there’s no better place to grow your career than Elevate.
Elevate is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against any employee or job applicant based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or marital status. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, termination, promotion, transfer, layoff, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume through our candidate portal at http://elevateenergy.appone.com/. Search for “Senior Accountant” to find the position listing.
Please note that Elevate will only contact candidates via an elevatenp.org email address. We will never ask a candidate for payment of any kind as part of the hiring or onboarding process or send payment to any candidate prior to completing the hiring and onboarding process.
No phone calls please.