The Green Energy Fellow builds relationships with community leaders, organizations, and small businesses with the goal of engaging individuals on saving energy and money at home while connecting them with green jobs in their communities. The Green Energy Fellow is responsible for implementing a grassroots community engagement strategy to ensure residents of low-income and environmental justice communities have access to the information they need to make smarter energy choices about gas/electric scams, energy efficiency options, renewable upgrades, and demand response programs.
The Green Energy Fellow reports to the Associate Director, Community Projects and work in close collaboration with teams across Elevate. This fellowship position is available for one year beginning at the date of hire. This position is located in Chicago, Illinois and is currently virtual.
- Implement and be held accountable to a metrics-driven outreach plan.
- Work closely with Elevate ’s Communications and Marketing team to coordinate messaging across programs.
- Stay up to date with Elevate’s range of programs and activities available to customers.
- Lead and direct constituent engagement, including outreach to individuals at community events and house parties.
- Organize community meetings, events, and training sessions.
- Hold meetings with community leaders to inform them about program offerings.
- Recruit, manage, and train local volunteer teams.
- Learn and stay abreast of current energy policies, programs, and trends and their impact on local communities.
- Follow up with interested contacts to encourage their participation in relevant programs.
- Maintain timely data entry and data integrity.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred
- Bilingual Spanish preferred but not required
- Passion for environmental issues, economic and social justice, and/or energy efficiency
- Willingness and ability to become well-versed in residential energy use, including smart grid technologies, dynamic electric pricing, energy efficiency technology, solar energy, and building science
- Exceptional verbal communication skills, comfortable speaking to large groups and facilitating small group discussions, and excellent one-on-one interactions
- Ability to effectively communicate and work with individuals from a wide variety of backgrounds and political beliefs
- Strong written communication skills
- Strong organizational ability and experience in meeting established goals within tight timeframes
- Self-starter with ability to work independently and remotely as well as within a team
- Familiarity with standard business computer applications; experience with Salesforce or other CRM systems a plus
- Ability and willingness to motivate individuals to take action regarding their energy usage and engaging with new technology and programs to assist with this; prior experience in sales or organizing a plus
- Familiarity with downstate Illinois area, its communities, community organizations, and leaders a plus
- Familiarity with energy efficiency upgrades or residential construction a plus
- Access to reliable transportation, home internet, and a cell phone
We design and implement programs that reduce costs, protect people and the environment, and ensure the benefits of clean and efficient energy use reach those who need them most.
At Elevate Energy, the greatest asset of our organization is the kind of people we attract. Elevate Energy employees co-create our energetic and collaborative environment, where constant learning and service to others take priority. We empower individuals to challenge conventional thinking in pursuit of innovation and we seek dynamic, hardworking team members who are inspired to work with people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives. Every day we make a difference by placing our team, clients, and community partners first. From our mission to our focus on staff wellbeing and career development opportunities, there’s no better place to grow your career than Elevate Energy.
Elevate Energy is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against any employee or job applicant based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or marital status. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, termination, promotion, transfer, layoff, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume through our candidate portal at http://elevateenergy.appone.com/. Search for “Green Energy Fellow” to find the position listing.
Please note that Elevate will only contact candidates via an elevatenp.org email address. We will never ask a candidate for payment of any kind as part of the hiring or onboarding process or send payment to any candidate prior to completing the hiring and onboarding process.
No phone calls please.