The Grants and Contracts Accountant supports Elevate’s existing programs and services and helps expand new business development opportunities by managing compliance and accounting of Elevate’s grants, awards, and contracts. The Accountant provides fiscal and accounting support to ensure proper use and reporting, budgeting, and billing of grants (including federal), cooperative agreements, and contracts.
The Grants and Contracts Accountant reports directly to the Director, Accounting. The position is located in Chicago, Illinois and is currently virtual.
- Gain and maintain a full understanding of Elevate’s grants and contracts to ensure appropriate accounting treatment and compliance with funding source requirements.
- Ensure expected cost recovery, prepare budgets and budget amendments.
- Prepare journal entries for accrued revenue by period close.
- Prepare financial reports for funders, reconcile and analyze variances of financial status reports and government-mandated financial reports.
- Maintain files and rolling budget data for each contract with relevant documents applicable to each stage of the contract from pre-award, delivery to post award/closeout.
- Monitor awards and subrecipients for compliance with contract terms, laws and regulations; provide solutions for process improvement and draft management decision letters.
- Work closely with internal program, legal, ERP, and operations teams to provide assurance that Elevate remains in compliance with funder requirements and applicable laws and regulations.
- Interact with external funders and subrecipients, as appropriate.
- Coordinate and prepare responses for funder audits and desk reviews.
- Assist Accounting and Finance team in planning, evaluating, reporting, and problem solving regarding financial operations including development of reporting, monthly projections, and grant administration.
- Complete analyses on various accounts; reconcile variances, assist with general accounting duties as assigned.
- Provide assistance for the year-end audit and annual Form 990 preparation as directed.
- Assist with projects related to cost allocation methods, budget templates, grants compliance training and policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, business administration, finance, or related field
- Minimum 3-5 years of progressively responsible, relevant experience in accounting and grants administration
- Strong Excel knowledge, including Pivot tables, Vlookup and other spreadsheet functionality
- Detail-oriented, self-motivated, and organized with effective communication skills
- Ability to develop and implement strategies to build training for staff and improve operations and processes
- Ability to give and receive directions and respond to questions in a clear and succinct manner
- Ability to utilize independent judgment, make decisions, and set priorities with minimal supervision
- Commitment to accuracy along with high attention to detail
- Specific knowledge in uniform guidance/single audit/federal cost principles a plus
We design and implement programs that reduce costs, protect people and the environment, and ensure the benefits of clean and efficient energy use reach those who need them most.
At Elevate, the greatest asset of our organization is the kind of people we attract. Elevate employees co-create our energetic and collaborative environment, where constant learning and service to others take priority. We empower individuals to challenge conventional thinking in pursuit of innovation and we seek dynamic, hardworking team members who are inspired to work with people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives. Every day we make a difference by placing our team, clients, and community partners first. From our mission to our focus on staff wellbeing and career development opportunities, there’s no better place to grow your career than Elevate.
Elevate is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against any employee or job applicant based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or marital status. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, termination, promotion, transfer, layoff, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume through our candidate portal at http://elevateenergy.appone.com/. Search for “Grants and Contracts Accountant” to find the position listing.
Please note that Elevate will only contact candidates via an elevatenp.org email address. We will never ask a candidate for payment of any kind as part of the hiring or onboarding process or send payment to any candidate prior to completing the hiring and onboarding process.
No phone calls please.