The Director, Engineering leads Elevate’s Engineering team in supporting the organization’s engineering and technical expertise needs. The Engineering team conducts energy assessments, conducts energy modeling, and provides technical consulting for Elevate’s programs, projects, and utility programs that deliver services to a wide range of buildings, including commercial nonprofit, multifamily, and public buildings. The Director, Engineering also supports the Engineering and Technical Services teams on other duties to meet annual energy efficiency retrofits and other program goals.
The Director, Engineering reports to Senior Director, Energy and Sustainability and works closely with Project Managers and Construction and Program Delivery teams to ensure timely delivery of program goals. This position is based in Chicago serving primarily Midwest customers and clients.
- Lead, manage, and oversee Elevate’s Engineering team.
- Manage workflow related to serving energy efficiency programs and green consulting services.
- Oversee delivery of energy, water, and renewable energy assessments of commercial, multifamily, and public buildings.
- Lead strategic planning efforts for meeting resource needs and team growth.
- Provide mentoring and training opportunities for staff on auditing, energy modeling, and engineering practices to improve the team’s technical capabilities.
- Develop engineering scope of work in close collaboration with Elevate’s project managers, program managers, and directors.
- Oversee and manage engineering support needed outside of Illinois.
- Collaborate across the organization to ensure engineering deliverables are completed on time and within budget.
- Contribute to other Elevate efforts as required.
Qualifications and Skills
- Five or more years of experience in building science, energy assessments, and energy engineering
- Two to three years of experience leading and managing technical teams
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Architecture related to building science and energy management
- Deep knowledge of residential and commercial construction, building energy systems, and building science
- In-field energy assessment experience and technical expertise rooted in a working knowledge of building science principles, construction knowledge, and energy modeling experience
- CEM (Certified Energy Manager), CEA (Certified Energy Auditor), or BEAP (Building Energy Assessment Professional) certifications strongly preferred
- Ability to collaboratively leverage team members’ critical thinking skills to address real-world customer issues based on pre-defined program guidelines
- Ability to pick up new concepts quickly, take initiative in addressing unforeseen obstacles, and multitask and meet tight deadlines
- Strong analytical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work well independently and in a team setting
- Willingness to travel throughout the Midwest region
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Must be proficient in MS Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Proficiency in advanced MS Excel and can perform data manipulation i.e., Pivot Table, Arrays, VBA and Macros, Dynamic Charting and Dashboard, etc.
- Proficiency in energy modeling software such as Energy Plus, eQuest, or Trane Trace; ability to build and calibrate energy models of new and existing buildings with complex architectural and mechanical systems
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Experience with a customer relationship management system (i.e., Salesforce) a plus
- Experience working with utility energy efficiency programs a plus
- Resource planning experience a plus
We design and implement programs that reduce costs, protect people and the environment, and ensure the benefits of clean and efficient energy use reach those who need them most.
At Elevate, the greatest asset of our organization is the kind of people we attract. Elevate employees co-create our energetic and collaborative environment, where constant learning and service to others take priority. We empower individuals to challenge conventional thinking in pursuit of innovation and we seek dynamic, hardworking team members who are inspired to work with people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives. Every day we make a difference by placing our team, clients, and community partners first. From our mission to our focus on staff well-being and career development opportunities, there’s no better place to grow your career than Elevate.
Elevate is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against any employee or job applicant based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or marital status. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, termination, promotion, transfer, layoff, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume through our candidate portal at http://elevateenergy.appone.com/. Search for “Director, Engineering” to find the position listing.
Please note that Elevate will only contact candidates via an elevatenp.org email address. We will never ask a candidate for payment of any kind as part of the hiring or onboarding process or send payment to any candidate prior to completing the hiring and onboarding process.
No phone calls please.