The Accounting Associate is responsible for payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, maintaining specific support schedules, supporting month-end close and the annual audit process, internal customer service, and other duties as assigned. This position supports the Finance department in providing accurate and timely financial reports to management, board, and staff. Through this role, the Accounting Associate helps contribute to Elevate’s mission of ensuring that everyone has access to clean and affordable heat, power, and water in their homes.
The Accounting Associate reports to the Director, Accounting. This position is located in Chicago, Illinois and is currently remote with on-site work as needed.
- Process accounts payable in a timely manner, ensure appropriate authorization and general ledger classification, identify and resolve issues promptly, maintain vendor files and database, and prepare 1099s.
- Prepare and process semi-monthly payroll, remit payroll deductions, ensure that employee eduction changes are processed effectively, and prepare payroll journal entries.
- Prepare and process bank deposits in a timely manner.
- Prepare journal vouchers for monthly and recurring entries and other adjustments to ensure accurate accounting records.
- Assist with month-end close and associated financial statement preparation.
- Assist with other administrative and finance functions, including annual audit preparation, budgeting and analysis, and accounts receivable.
- Work with the Finance team and Elevate staff to ensure adherence and compliance with accounting policies and procedures.
- Maintain complete and accurate records and documentation of all work.
- Organize the retention of historical records, ensuring that all information is safely stored and available on short notice.
- Recommend changes to departmental processes.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance or Accounting required
- Collegiate work in accounting, bookkeeping, or administrative experience required
- Ability to organize information, prioritize, and meet deadlines
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- Demonstrated initiative, follow-through, and sound and accurate judgment with the ability to support and explain reasoning for decisions
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and adept at learning new software programs
- Knowledge and experience using accounting and payroll software
We design and implement programs that reduce costs, protect people and the environment, and ensure the benefits of clean and efficient energy use reach those who need them most.
At Elevate, the greatest asset of our organization is the kind of people we attract. Elevate employees co-create our energetic and collaborative environment, where constant learning and service to others take priority. We empower individuals to challenge conventional thinking in pursuit of innovation and we seek dynamic, hardworking team members who are inspired to work with people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives. Every day we make a difference by placing our team, clients, and community partners first. From our mission to our focus on staff wellbeing and career development opportunities, there’s no better place to grow your career than Elevate.
Elevate is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against any employee or job applicant based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or marital status. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, termination, promotion, transfer, layoff, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume through our candidate portal at https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/. Search for “Accounting Associate” to find the position listing.
Please note that Elevate will only contact candidates via an elevatenp.org email address. We will never ask a candidate for payment of any kind as part of the hiring or onboarding process or send payment to any candidate prior to completing the hiring and onboarding process.
No phone calls please.