Director, Grants and Contracts
The Director, Grants and Contracts leads the accounting for organizational awards, ensuring compliance and best-in-class systems. The Director focuses on developing and implementing short and long-term strategies that improve and mature grants and contracts accounting, including training and partnership across the organization. The Director develops and oversees a team to manage grants and contracts from pre-award to post-award life cycle and creates and maintains metrics to measure appropriate KPIs. In addition to working closely with the Finance and Accounting team, this role works as an accounting business partner to program business units as well as legal counsel, development, ERP, and other operations teams. This role is active in departmental planning, evaluating, reporting, forecasting, and problem solving regarding financial operations.
The Director, Grants and Contracts reports to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO). This position is remote, with travel to perform duties as required.
- Gain and maintain a full understanding of Elevate’s grants and contracts to ensure compliance and proper accounting of awards, ensure expected cost recovery, prepare budget amendments, monitor awards and subrecipients for compliance, prepare reports for funders, and prepare monthly journal entries by period close.
- Build and maintain systems, policies, and processes to deliver on department goals.
- Prepare and present project plans, status reports, cost/benefit studies, and resource optimization.
- Reconcile and analyze variances of program status reports and government-mandated financial reports.
- Lead funder audits and subrecipient programs and support organizational audits.
- Ensure proper use, reporting, budgeting, and billing of awards.
- Improve cash flow by assuring timely billing and federal drawdowns of grant and contract receivables.
- Develop strategies to facilitate team’s professional development, conduct performance reviews, and ensure accountability to organizational and departmental initiatives.
- Lead and assist with projects related to research items, cost allocation methods, budget templates, grants compliance training, internal audit, policies, systems, etc.
- Partner with CFO and team on departmental and organizational strategy, reporting, and metrics.
- Provide assistance for the year-end audit and annual Form 990 preparation as directed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business administration, finance, or related fields
- At least 10 years of relevant experience in accounting, grants administration, and audits
- Deep expertise in uniform guidance/single audit/federal cost principles
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
- Detail-oriented, self-motivated, and organized, with effective communication skills to work with all levels across the organization, including external partners and funders
- Proven ability to develop and implement strategies to build training for staff and improve operations and processes
- Ability to anticipate, identify, and resolve complex financial issues
- Ability to give and receive directions and respond to questions in a clear and succinct manner
- Ability to utilize independent judgment, make decisions, and set priorities with minimal supervision
- Commitment to openness and transparency
- Strong Excel knowledge, including Pivot tables, Vlookup, and other spreadsheet functionality
We design and implement programs that reduce costs, protect people and the environment, and ensure the benefits of clean and efficient energy use reach those who need them most.
At Elevate, the greatest asset of our organization is the kind of people we attract. Elevate employees co-create our energetic and collaborative environment, where constant learning and service to others take priority. We empower individuals to challenge conventional thinking in pursuit of innovation and we seek dynamic, hardworking team members who are inspired to work with people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives. Every day we make a difference by placing our team, clients, and community partners first. From our mission to our focus on staff wellbeing and career development opportunities, there’s no better place to grow your career than Elevate.
Elevate is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against any employee or job applicant based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or marital status. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, termination, promotion, transfer, layoff, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume through our candidate portal at https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/. Search for “Director, Grants and Contracts” to find the position listing.
Please note that Elevate will only contact candidates via an elevatenp.org email address. We will never ask a candidate for payment of any kind as part of the hiring or onboarding process or send payment to any candidate prior to completing the hiring and onboarding process.
No phone calls please.