Associate Director, Policy, Michigan and Wisconsin
The Associate Director, Policy supports Elevate’s mission by ensuring its programs are well-adapted to the policy environment and by bringing Elevate’s practical expertise to policy discussions. The Associate Director, Policy develops policy initiatives and advocacy efforts at the state and local level to further Elevate’s mission. The Associate Director, Policy works on behalf of Elevate and as a member of policy-oriented coalitions to advance legislative and regulatory policies that promote energy efficiency, renewable energy, and building decarbonization in Michigan and Wisconsin.
The Associate Director, Policy reports to the Principal Director, Policy and works closely with the other Associate Director, Policy on the team. This position is located in either Michigan or Wisconsin with occasional travel, including to Elevate headquarters in Chicago. This position is currently remote.
- Manage organization’s clean energy policy activities in coordination with relevant program teams and other policy staff.
- Manage organization’s state-centered (Michigan and Wisconsin) energy policy activities in coordination with relevant program teams and other policy staff.
- Inform program teams of changes to regulatory and legislative requirements for compliance purposes.
- Represent Elevate at external policy forums, including in-person meetings, conference calls, and events that occur outside daytime working hours.
- Develop, support, and maintain relationships with policymakers, external stakeholders, and internal customers.
- Assist with development of Elevate’s policy positions.
- Serve as Elevate’s energy policy expert in Michigan and Wisconsin and provide expert opinions as required.
- Research policy and industry conditions related to Elevate’s mission.
- Draft fact sheets, comments, testimony and other materials to educate policymakers and stakeholders on Elevate’s positions.
- Effectively communicate Elevate’s mission and policy positions within and outside Elevate.
- Draft grant reports, board reports, presentations, and other deliverables.
- Manage interns.
- Maintain law license, if applicable, to support regulatory advocacy.
- Disseminate policy information internally to Elevate staff.
- Manage travel, expense reports, timesheets, and other administrative needs following Elevate processes.
- Provide occasional event planning and scheduling assistance.
- Perform other duties as required.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject area, Master’s degree or J.D. preferred
- Minimum of five (5+) years of experience in clean energy or climate advocacy
- Deep commitment to communities that have been historically disinvested in
- Familiarity with energy policy and its practical implications
- Familiarity with workings of state, local and federal government
- Demonstrated persistence, initiative, and creativity
- Demonstrated ability to work within a team and with people of all backgrounds, ethnicity, cultures, and political viewpoints
- Excellent interpersonal, writing, and oral presentation skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality required
- Willingness to travel, including occasional overnight business travel
Elevate seeks to create a just and equitable world in which everyone has clean and affordable heat, power, and water in their homes and communities — no matter who they are or where they live. Our programs, policy agenda, and partners reflect this commitment.
At Elevate, the greatest asset of our organization is the kind of people we attract. Elevate employees co-create our energetic and collaborative environment, where constant learning and service to others take priority. We empower individuals to challenge conventional thinking in pursuit of innovation and we seek dynamic, hardworking team members who are inspired to work with people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives. Every day we make a difference by placing our team, clients, and community partners first. From our mission to our focus on staff well-being and career development opportunities, there’s no better place to grow your career than Elevate.
Elevate is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against any employee or job applicant based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age disability, veteran status, or marital status. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, termination, promotion, transfer, layoff, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume through our candidate portal at https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/. Search for “Associate Director, Policy” to find the position listing.
Please note that Elevate will only contact candidates via an elevatenp.org email address. We will never ask a candidate for payment of any kind as part of the hiring or onboarding process or send payment to any candidate prior to completing the hiring and onboarding process.
No phone calls please.