The Accountant I assists in defining accounting processes and financial and accounting activities of grants and contracts and monthly accounting cycle activities. These responsibilities involve continuous process improvement, strong customer service, and methods of measuring success in achieving performance objectives. The Accountant I supports the team in planning, evaluating, reporting, and problem-solving financial operations, including development of reporting processes, monthly projections, and grant administration. The Accountant I helps streamline the tools, methods, and systems necessary to support Elevate’s current portfolio of grant and contract-based projects. This role works closely with Elevate program managers and consultants to coordinate financial reporting.
The Accountant I reports to the Director of Accounting (DOA). This position is located in Chicago, Illinois and is currently remote, with onsite work as needed.
- Perform accounting functions to ensure accurate and timely recordkeeping, reporting, and compliance with GAAP.
- Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure and orderly accounting filing system and records.
- Ensure completion of monthly accounting duties including but not limited to journal entries, receivables, and payables.
- Prepare account reconciliations ensuring appropriate documentation, identifying variances, reconciling balances, and updating descriptions.
- Prepare financial reports and invoices for grants and contracts.
- Prepare analysis for grants and contracts, identifying variance, reconciling budgets, updating trackers, and making recommendations to DOA.
- Serve as a resource for internal and external customers inquiries.
- Ensure financial compliance with policies and procedures and provide solutions for weakness.
- Partner with the accounting team [KRL1] to ensure timeliness of month, quarter and year-end close including supporting the preparation, review, and finalization of monthly financial reports.
- Work with the DOA to prepare schedules for timely annual audit and project audits.
- Support ensuring department has in place and is following appropriate segregation of duties and procedures.
- Serve as backup for the Accounting Associate in areas not limited to accounts payable [KRL2] and payroll, as assigned.
- Assist with systems, processes, and policies as assigned.
- Provide administrative support to management as requested.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships internally and externally with key stakeholders.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business administration, finance, or related field required
- Minimum of two (2) years of accounting, bookkeeping, or administrative experience preferred
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret financial reports and contracts
- Experience encompassing A/P, General Ledger, transaction analysis, and account reconciliation preferred
- Excellent knowledge of software systems, including Microsoft Office and financial systems
- Adept with learning new technology and software
- Ability to develop and implement strategies to improve operations and processes
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Ability to utilize independent judgment, make decisions, set priorities, and meet deadlines with minimal supervision
- Commitment to accuracy along with high attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills including collaborative thinking and problem solving
We design and implement programs that reduce costs, protect people and the environment, and ensure the benefits of clean and efficient energy use reach those who need them most.
At Elevate, the greatest asset of our organization is the kind of people we attract. Elevate employees co-create our energetic and collaborative environment, where constant learning and service to others take priority. We empower individuals to challenge conventional thinking in pursuit of innovation and we seek dynamic, hardworking team members who are inspired to work with people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives. Every day we make a difference by placing our team, clients, and community partners first. From our mission to our focus on staff wellbeing and career development opportunities, there’s no better place to grow your career than Elevate.
Elevate is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against any employee or job applicant based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or marital status. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, termination, promotion, transfer, layoff, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume through our candidate portal at https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/. Search for “Accountant I” to find the position listing.
Please note that Elevate will only contact candidates via an elevatenp.org email address. We will never ask a candidate for payment of any kind as part of the hiring or onboarding process or send payment to any candidate prior to completing the hiring and onboarding process.
No phone calls please.